Pulse Oximeter can help monitor your pulse rate along with blood oxygen saturation at home. Even though all oximeters measure the saturation level of oxygen in the blood they vary in efficiency, performance and reliability.
If you are looking for a highly reliable and accurate oximeter you can opt for the Santamedical SM-210 Finger Pulse Oximeter. This device makes it easy to check blood and oxygen levels, anytime and anywhere.
Things to Consider When Choosing an Oximeter
There are various things that you need to consider when choosing a finger pulse oximeter. The device has a variety of features that you need to look for before making the purchase. The different factors that you need to consider include:
Level of Accuracy
Choose a device that has a high level of accuracy. If you choose a device that malfunctions frequently it can lead to wrong readings and faulty interpretations.
The results that are displayed on the device need to be readable. Determine the readability factor by looking at clarity, screen size and text color. Avoid picking a device that needs you to strain your eyes to read the results.
One of the important factors that you need to consider is durability. An oximeter does not come cheap and you don’t want to buy something that does not last for a few weeks. Ensure that the device is made from strong materials so that you get value for money.
Buy a device that has an alarm system. This system sounds a warning beep if the oxygen levels are low. This feature is useful for individuals with no medical background or those who don’t know the normal oxygen saturation level.
- The device is FDA approved. It can quickly and accurately measure the pulse rate and blood oxygen saturation of the arterial haemoglobin levels.
- The bright LED displays real time pulse rate, SpO2 level and pulse rate bar.
- The long battery life guarantees thousands of readings. The automatic power off helps save power.
- The device is light and compact. The unit can accommodate any finger size.
How to Get Accurate Readings from an Oximeter?
Even though the oximeter is functioning properly, you may end up with inaccurate and wrong results. This is because you may not be following the right procedure.
- Wash the Hands Properly – When the pulse oximeter works properly, it shines light through the skin. If the skin is dirty the device may not function properly and can provide improper and wrong readings.
The skin needs to be cleaned before you use the device so that you get accurate readings. Nail polish has also been found to affect the results of the device and it is advisable to remove them before use.
- Stay Still When Using the Device – When you are taking the reading from the oximeter avoid moving around as this can affect the results. Even when measuring the level of oxygen after exercising, it is best to stay still so that the results do not get affected.
- Don’t Subject the Oximeter to Excess Light – When you use the device, you should avoid subjecting it to bright light. The excess light can interfere with the light emitted by the device and this can affect the reading.
- Easy to use and reads fast.
- Compact and super lightweight.
- Consumes less power.
- Simple and convenient operation
- Does not store the displayed data for more than 5 seconds.
Read the reviews of the product so that you become aware of the pros and cons and unique features. This can enable you to choose a product that meets your specific requirements.