According to one report, more minorities, millennials, and women are becoming entrepreneurs. The rate of new entrepreneurs rose almost 15% over the last two years, which translates to around 550,000 new business owners every month of the year. One of the first things you are going to have to do when you finally decide to open shop in your home is set up your own home office.
As you start setting your home office up, one of two things usually happen. Either you do not have the ability to easily identify which technology and equipment you use each day; therefore, you underestimate what you’ll require to get your home office established, and find yourself quickly struggling. Or, you’ll clearly see every individual object you might need and become overwhelmed by the idea of meeting every one of these needs down to the final staple.
In either of those cases, it would not be a shock to discover yourself running around like a chicken before you have the ability to concentrate your efforts and craft an office which will assist you in working productively.
Use the following checklist to create a well-rounded, but streamlined list of what you require in your office. Check items you really need, and circle those items you might ultimately want to add to develop a prioritized list of your office essentials.
It’ll apply to most, since few entrepreneurs or small business owners who are able to work from home may do their work without one. Perform your research in order for you to choose a computer which meets your unique needs. You ought to consider a laptop if you have intentions of creating a mobile office in addition to your own office. Personally, I’ve used both and really prefer my laptop, because if I want to go from my bedroom to the living room to watch “The Real Housewives of Orange County,” I can just take my laptop with me as I write my blogs for my clients.
- Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM 15.6-Inch FHD Notebook (Intel Core i3-7100U 7th Generation , 4GB DDR4, 1TB 5400RPM HD, Intel HD Graphics 620, Windows 10 Home), Obsidian Black
- 2017 Newest Dell Inspiron Flagship High Performance 15.6 inch HD Touchscreen Laptop PC, Intel Core i3-7100U Dual-Core, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Bluetooth, WIFI, Windows 10
- ASUS T102HA-C4-GR Transformer Mini 10.1-Inch 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop (Intel Quad-Core, 4GB Memory, 64GB EMMC, Grey, 11 hours battery, 802.11AC, Bluetooth, Keyboard and Pen included)
You’re going to need a monitor if you own a desktop computer; however, it also can be helpful to have a monitor that you plug into a laptop. Depending upon the type of work you do, you also may give consideration to dual monitors.
- Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved LED-Lit Monitor (Older Model)
- HP Pavilion 21.5-Inch IPS LED HDMI VGA Monitor
- ASUS VS248H-P 24″ Full HD 1920×1080 2ms HDMI DVI VGA Back-lit LED Monitor
- Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch UHD LED-Lit Monitor
High-Speed Internet Access
Those days of having the ability to work with a dial-up connection are over. To work online efficiently, a broadband connection is critical.
Ideally, you’ll have space for a desk in which you develop an ergonomically-correct workstation. However, if you have to get creative, it’s possible to make a counter, table, or additional flat surface work. When I first started my business, my husband went out and bought me this really nice $300 desk. But after a few years, I set up shop in my bedroom because I couldn’t work with all the distractions around me. So, whether you prefer to have a desk or just a fold up table in your bedroom, choose a place where it is free of distractions, so you can give your work your full attention.
- basyx by HON BL Laminate Series Office Desk Shell – Rectangular Desk Shell, 60w x 30d x 29h, Medium Cherry (HBL2103)
- Tribesigns Modern L-Shaped Desk Corner Computer Desk PC Latop Study Table Workstation Home Office Wood & Metal (Teak)
Take the time to choose and buy a comfy chair, as it’s one of the most critical parts of an efficient office in the home. Again, comfort and ergonomics count as it’ll come to sitting; therefore, ensure that you test out a chair prior to buying. I can definitely attest to this one, as I have had to work in one of the folding chairs and then I invested in a $100 chair and boy did I feel a difference! Comfort is everything, especially if you are sitting down most of the day.
- Homall Executive Swivel Leather Gaming Chair, Racing Style High-back Office Chair With Lumbar Support and Headrest (White)
Just as a comfortable chair is key to an ergonomic home office, so is having appropriate lighting. You do not want to experience eye strain and headaches from squinting or making use of lighting which makes it difficult to read.
- Normande Lighting JM1-884 71-Inch 100-Watt Incandescent Torchiere Floor Lamp with 40-Watt Side Reading Lamp
- Adesso 4238-26 Trinity 82″ Arc 3-Light Floor Lamp – Smart Switch Compatible Lighting Fixture, Antique Bronze Lamp. Home Improvement Essentials
Telephone and/or VoIP
With Internet-based phone services, VoIP technology, and mobile phones, you might not require a landline phone, yet accessibility to a phone service usually is needed while working from home.
A few small business owners just need accessibility to spreadsheet, word processing, and email management applications, whereas others require extra software which is unique to their needs. Create a list of the software you’ll need to operate your own office.
Not always needed, a network router may be required if you own more than one computer which requires Internet access. Give consideration to a wireless router if you own a laptop and computers situated in various places in your house.
- Wireless Router Long Range Ac 1200mbps High Speed WiFi to Router Dual Band with 4 Lan Ports for Home Office Gaming Internet
- Linksys AC1750 Dual-Band Smart Wireless Router with MU-MIMO, Works with Amazon Alexa (Max Stream EA7300)
Oftentimes overlooked, a surge protector ought to be a staple in any office using computer equipment.
- Belkin 6-Outlet Commercial Power Strip Surge Protector with 6-Foot Power Cord and Rotating Plug, 1080 Joules (BE106000-06R)
Printer or Multipurpose Machine
If you run a paperless office, you might have the ability to get away without needing a printer, yet there might be circumstances in which you have to fax, scan, and make copies. If it’s common in your home business, check out multipurpose machines which are able to manage all those tasks.
- Canon MX492 Wireless All-IN-One Small Printer with Mobile or Tablet Printing, Airprint and Google Cloud Print Compatible
- HP OfficeJet 4650 Wireless All-in-One Photo Printer with Mobile Printing, Instant Ink ready (F1J03A)
- HP DeskJet 3634 Compact All-in-One Photo Printer with Wireless & Mobile Printing, Instant Ink ready (K4T93A)
Backup Drive or Personal Server
As your home office is established, you’ll have to have a plan for protecting and backing your data up. You may utilize cloud-based back-up services that automatically copy your files; however, it also is a great idea to think about having an in-house back-up in place. Personal servers and external drives are fairly affordable and might save your business in the instance of computer failure.
UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
An Uninterruptible Power Supply offers back-up power for a restricted time in the instance the electricity goes out because an Uninterruptible Power Supply may offer useful buffer time that saves your work and safely shuts down all equipment.
- Tripp Lite 1500VA 900W UPS Battery Back Up, AVR, LCD Display, Line-Interactive, 10 Outlets, 120V, USB, Tel & Coax Protection (SMART1500LCDT)
Even if you have a goal to be paperless, there always are a few hard copy documents you must hang on to. The ideal place to store those documents — and have the ability to locate them later — is inside a file cabinet.
- Halter 2DPC-P 2 Drawer Pedestal File Cabinet with Key Lock / Passcode Security and Wheels – Cold Rolled Steel – 18.9″ H X 15.3″ W X 20.5″ D – Black
Where are you going to keep sticky notes, pens, folders, paper, business cards, ink, and other office supplies? Consider buying shelving or a bookcase that stores unused items inside your office.
And speaking of storage, you might consider the use of a fire-safe box that stores and protects your most critical business paperwork. Also, most small business owners utilize these durable boxes in order to keep back-up copies of all data.
A paper shredder is a must-have for destroying confidential and sensitive details in your business. Plus, for every other piece of paper that isn’t sensitive, consider investing in a recycling bin.
- Swingline Paper Shredder, Junk Mail, 12 Sheet Capacity, Super Cross-Cut, 1 User, Personal Duo, Black (1757394)
There’ll absolutely be additional items you require in your home office, depending upon the kind of work you do, as well as how much space there is available. However, if you use the above checklist to get you considering the essentials, you’re well on your way to crafting an efficient and streamlined home office.
This website accepts paid advertising, sponsorship, and other forms of compensation. All advertising will be identifiable as paid advertisements. You should also note that while many of the links out of this site are purely for informational purposes, some links may earn a small commission, including links to books and products. This website is also participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and its international store equivalents.